Welcome to Casa Coconut AMI, your vacation rental destination. Casa Coconut is located on Anna Maria Island.
HISTORY OF ANNA MARIA
Old World Living & Old Florida Charm Island Inhabitants
The island was originally used for hunting and fishing by various Indian tribes and the only way on and off the island was by boat. Visit the Anna Maria Island Historical Society for a look at this island paradise in its original form when it was discovered by the local Timucan and Caloosan American Indian tribes and then by Spanish explorers (including Hernando DeSoto) in the name of the Spanish Crown. Ponce de Leon named it after Maria Anna, Queen of Spain in 1521.
In 1892 George Emerson Bean became the first permanent resident on the Island, followed by John Roser. Bean settled on the northern tip of the island, now known as Bean Point. It was Bean, his son Will along with Charles Roser who developed the area by adding streets, a water system and homes. Shortly after came a school and churches which lead to the beginning of an island community. A jail was built in 1927 for the drunk and disorderly visitors which is still standing today on Pine Avenue without a roof due to a fire in the 1940’s. Mr. Bean homesteaded much of what is now the City of Anna Maria. In the early 1900s, Bean began to develop the Island with the Anna Maria Beach Company, which laid out streets, built sidewalks and houses and installed a water system.
Address: 4104 4th Ave, Bradenton, FL 34217
Phone: (937) 287-5700